HCDC’s Economic Development Office (EDO) is working with the Village of Lockland to redevelop a key site in the Village. One of the foremost development sites in Lockland is the former Stearns & Foster site, which is situated at the northern end of the “Lockland Split” of Interstate 75. EDO has worked with many development entities and assembled various resources in the last several years to make this 12-acre site shovel-ready. Half of the site is owned by the Village. The other half is controlled by a development agreement between the owners and Hamilton County, which has a say in the sale of any land.
This light industrial property has great access to both the interstate and rail system and is one of the few larger land sites suitable for advanced manufacturing facilities. Advanced manufacturing facilities moving onto the site would reinvigorate the historic Lockland Business District, built between 1885 and 1920. “We are in the process of getting the Lockland Business District on the National Register of Historic Places,” says EDO’s Senior Development Specialist Daniel Ferguson. “Once the area is on the National Register, we can establish a Downtown Redevelopment District which allows us to direct new taxes from construction on the 12-acre site to loans and grants to fix up existing buildings in the vicinity.”
A 2017 Deloitte Consulting Study showed that Lockland has a high number of people employed in production, construction, and materials moving. In addition, there are approximately 50,000 scientists and engineers within a 50-mile radius of the Stearns & Foster site. The study also stated that labor quality and availability are the most important factors when determining where to locate an advanced manufacturing facility.
Hamilton County Planning & Development Department funded a study in early 2017 that resulted in a Master Plan for redevelopment of the Stearns & Foster site. Lockland’s Council approved the plan in August 2017.